The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
True 67

True Love

Well hello to all,
Like most I've been lurking aruond here looking at all the different builds and drooling over the craftmanship of my fellow board members projects. So I have decided to add my build to the list of projects. I bought my project a couple of years ago right before the 4th of July because I though at teh time it was a good deal for $600. I am currently working on a 67 Firebird and i wanted a 67 C10 to go along with it. Well i was only able to get a Bill of Sale with the truck so I went down to get it registered and to see if i could get a title and to my luck i couldn't get a title. As it turned out the truck was registered by the previous owner as a 70 C-10. cause I was specifically looking for a 67. And then it was a GMC and not a Chevy. I said to myself.. Self..it happends to the best of us. So truck has been sitting cause my 67 is going thru a full restoration and the only original parts will be the VIN and hull of the car. I am doing all the welding myself or at least attempting.

So this brings me to where I am right now. I am lookig to buy some suspension/brake parts and don't want to have to do it twice cause my other ride is breaking the bank. The front end has already been converted to 5x5 dics but they deated the coils up to drop it. So I don't know what erally under there. The rear is still 6 lug which i plan on coverting to 5x5 and dics. I would like to get some input on the best route to go from some of you who have already made that journey. This will be a slow build but hopefully as long as the funds allow a steady build. I also have a LT1 with a 4L60E waiting to be put in. As soon as i can I will post pics of the ride as i know everyone LOVES pics. Thanks in advance to all replys...

True
True 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
True 67

Re: True Love

Also,
I am in the process of looking for a better air compressor. I will be using it with the basic air tools but also with a plasma cutter. So what do you guys recommend?

True
Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
jlsanborn

Welcome to the board True! Anxious to see some photos of both those builds. Do you know how the five lug conversion was done up front? That's going to make your track width a bit wider up front, which was already wider than the rear to begin with. I'd find a '71-'72 five lug rear to convert to disc. Those housings grew in width with the wider disc brake fronts. What's the plan for ride height and suspension?
Posted via Mobile Device
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Bomp

Welcome aboard.
Not to be a downer,,,,,,,first off I would get the title issue taken care of. I've been a victim of "heres a bill of sale". Origional owner didn't want to sign off. I got screwed.
As for the air compressor. I have an 80gal BelAir 7.5hp. Love it. It puts out 27cfm. Cfm's are what you want to look at when getting a compressor.
And yes. Pics. Lots of 'em.
Good luck and hope to see more in the future.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
True 67

Well..I'm still trying to search for a good air compressor. i'm torn between the Schultz brand which they only sale on ebay (free delivery) but are local and the local HD has the Husky 3.2 60 gal for $349 though. Northern has a Qunicy that I like as well. As far as the front end is concern it looks like they heated the the springs up so I'm just going to replace everything. i did score a 5x5 12 bolt rear end on CL tht was off a 70 C-10..I'm really buying parts here and there but looking for a air compressor..
Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
True 67

Bomp,
In GA they don't re-issue lost titles for older cars but it is registered in my name now so I'm technically the last owner of the vehicle.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
jlsanborn

A lot of dudes swap out the entire cross member to a later model disc front end. Looks butt-simple and I wonder what I missed by not doing that myself. I bought "conversion" drop spindles and -2" springs. Rotors and calipers from the bone-yard.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
True 67

okay...so it's been a while since I last posted. Like most I've been lurking in the shadows and collecting parts and trying to do more research and figure out what direction I want to take this build. I was first leaning toward putting the LT1/4L60e (that's sitting in my garage) in and then I wanted to put a 6.0 Chevy in after watching the Trucks Show build but I also have a 68 350 (sitting in my garage)that I would like to build as well. decision decisions decisions.. so while I haven't been able to make up my mind I have just been buying parts here and there. I bought some 67/68 buddy bucket seats over the holiday from a board member (Leroy0 in Asheville, N.C.) and the other day bought the seat adjustment handle from another local board member since I was missing the one off mine. I also went ahead and bought myself some Wilwood Big disc brakes (front/rear) from Summit too.

After doing some research I was able to determine that instead of me buying a 67 it was a 71 with a 67 grill. My problem now is that when I originally bought the dics brakes I bought them for a 67 and now I'm concerned if they will work on what I believe to be a 71 setup as the truck already had front disc brakes (5/5) but the rear is still 6/6. i did however go ahead and buy another 5/5 rear end to swap out when I'm erady..

Please let me know if anyone has any tips on what I should do..

thx..

True
Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
True 67

I guess I should have mentioned also that my objective is to have a nice looking daily driver.. don't care for a whole lot of speed as that is out of my system for the most part but I don't want to be the grandma holding up traffic. So what I was thinking was if I fix the rockers/doors and go ahead and have the 68 350 rebuilt with the Edlerock Classic EDL-41303
Valve covers, Classic Series Air Cleaner EDL-41153, performance Intake EDL-21563 then this basic setup would be good. Then have the disc brakes all around and a 350 automatic tranny..

Any comments or suggestion?

True
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
gdavis

Have you looked into a builders title. Here in Fl. they have that. frame and number, motor and number and cab and number. This way you can have a 67.

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
True 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
Have you looked into a builders title. Here in Fl. they have that. frame and number, motor and number and cab and number. This way you can have a 67.
Gdavis,
I haven't looked into it as it really isn't a deal breaker. I only wanted a 67 c10 to go along with my 67 Firebird.

True
Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by True 67 View Post
I also went ahead and bought myself some Wilwood Big disc brakes (front/rear) from Summit too.

After doing some research I was able to determine that instead of me buying a 67 it was a 71 with a 67 grill. My problem now is that when I originally bought the dics brakes I bought them for a 67 and now I'm concerned if they will work on what I believe to be a 71 setup as the truck already had front disc brakes (5/5) but the rear is still 6/6. Please let me know if anyone has any tips on what I should do..
It shouldn't be hard to find out if you bought the wrong kit, is it a 6-lug kit or a 5-lug kit, what does the kit consist of? Since you didn't give us a wilwood part number we have no way to check for you. If your order from Summit hasn't shipped yet I would call and cancel the order untill you get this figured out.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
True 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
It shouldn't be hard to find out if you bought the wrong kit, is it a 6-lug kit or a 5-lug kit, what does the kit consist of? Since you didn't give us a wilwood part number we have no way to check for you. If your order from Summit hasn't shipped yet I would call and cancel the order untill you get this figured out.
Xeen,
Everything is 5/5 and is easy for me to take the 45 min drive to Summit from my house than to ship things. The Wilwood part numbers are 140-10094-D for the rear brakes and 140-10775-D for the front.

My question was would they still work with me having a 71 front vs what I originally bought them for (67 front)?

true

Last edited by True 67; 07-17-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: wrong part number
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
Xeen

Quote:
Xeen,
Everything is 5/5 and is easy for me to take the 45 min drive to Summit from my house than to ship things. The Wilwood part numbers are 140-10094-D for the rear brakes and 140-10775-D for the front.
My question was would they still work with me having a 71 front vs what I originally bought them for (67 front)?
Yes that kit will work, although honestly unless you plan to autocross the truck that front brake kit is way overkill, like swatting a fly with a nuke. The factory front disk is more than enough combined with rear disk, so in my opinion you should return the front disk kit to save yourself the $1,700 and apply it somewhere else like all the suspension parts you are going to need, drop spindles, springs front and rear, adjustable trac bar, etcetera.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
True 67

Quote:
Yes that kit will work, although honestly unless you plan to autocross the truck that front brake kit is way overkill, like swatting a fly with a nuke. The factory front disk is more than enough combined with rear disk, so in my opinion you should return the front disk kit to save yourself the $1,700 and apply it somewhere else like all the suspension parts you are going to need, drop spindles, springs front and rear, adjustable trac bar, etcetera.
Xeen,
yeah I thought about that too. But I just figured since I already paid for them that I would just go ahead and keep them.

True
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #16
Xeen

Quote:
Xeen,
yeah I thought about that too. But I just figured since I already paid for them that I would just go ahead and keep them.
I hear ya although you may reconsider when you see how much all that stuff costs
Keep in mind you only have a specified amount of days to be able to return the kit for a refund.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
True 67

Quote:
I hear ya although you may reconsider when you see how much all that stuff costs
Keep in mind you only have a specified amount of days to be able to return the kit for a refund.
Xeen,
Trust me I know.. I have a 67 firebird that I'm doing a total restoration on. The only thing original is the VIN and hull of the car..But I am well past the return period with the brakes..
Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
True 67

So I have the wilwood big brake kit and now i'm looking for a master cylinder and powerbrake booster combo kit.. my question is what type should I be looking to buy?

thanks in advance,
True
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
jlsanborn

That should be a pretty easy find with a little searching on here. What are your plans motor wise? I'm planning a stupid open plenum intake and a lopey cam so it's got crappy manners and poor gas mileage but sounds cool Because of a combo like that manifold vacuum is iffy. I've put together a hydro-boost setup from an Astro van that uses power steering pump pressure for brake boost. I'd assume you'll use a Willwood proportioning valve to match them sick brakes? Any photos?